All About Nick!

Today I bring to you my journey through pregnancy, labor and delivery with Nick! 


I got a positive pregnancy test on July 24, 2011. I had already suspected I was pregnant though based on the extreme nausea and the fact I was smelling things that no one else could. Hubs and I had decided that we wanted a second baby, but that we wanted to wait until around Alex’s first birthday before we started trying. When I found out I was pregnant when Alex was only 7 months old, I was upset. I had it in my head that I was going to end up neglecting Alex because I was going to have this new baby, and he was going to grow up hating me and the baby. By the time I hit about 3 months pregnant all these feelings had seemingly gone away. When we found out we were pregnant we ordered Alex the shirt you can see him modelling above, and used it as our way of announcing to our family (and Facebook) that we were going to be expecting another bundle of joy into our lives. 

When I announced that I was pregnant with Nick, there were a lot of mixed reactions. Some people were very excited for us and others were shocked that we would even think about having a second so soon after the first.

My first trimester was absolutely horrid. I was so glad that Hubs was still on parental from Alex to be home and helping me. I couldn’t even change a diaper without getting sick. (I guess it’s good that Alex thought the noises Momma made while changing him were so funny….) When I hit my fourth month of pregnancy, the morning sickness passed, Hubs went back to work and Alex and I created a routine at home for ourselves. I was lucky this time around that my hips didn’t cause me as much pain as they had with Alex. They hurt, but no where near the way they had. 

When I was 18 weeks pregnant, we moved. We had been living in a 4th floor, 2 bedroom apartment, but we were offered a 3 bedroom house for the same price we were paying and it made sense to me to make the move. As I neared my mid pregnancy ultrasound Hubs and I talked a lot about the potential gender of the baby. Everyone around us was saying things like ‘Oh I hope its a girl this time!’ (Not that I understood why they all hoped I was having one gender over the other, I was personally just hoping for healthy!) I had a strong feeling I was going to be welcoming another little boy. For a boy we had chosen out Nicholas Sidney, Sidney being my father’s middle name and Nicholas being the better of the two boys names to go with that (The other name I had chosen was Zachary, but I didn’t like how Zachary Sidney sounded) We couldn’t agree on a girls name, and just kind of fell back on Madison Ann-Marie. 

On November 3rd, 2011 I went for my ultrasound, and found out that we were indeed having another little boy! 


LIke with Alex’s ultrasound picture, just ignore the timestamp. 

My pregnancy progressed along relatively normally. Until the beginning of February when my awesome Hubs went for an ankle surgery, leaving me super pregnant and needing to do all the work around the house. I wasn’t really sleeping, Alex was teething and I had to get up every 3 hours to give Hubs his meds. Good times were had by none. Except maybe Alex who got to sleep in my bed all night every night, just because it was easier on me. 

When I was about 35 weeks I put myself into labor by shoveling snow. Since my water hadn’t broken and my contractions were irregular like they were with Alex, my Dr decided that I should be put on bedrest and wait it out until closer to 37-38 weeks and then we would talk about inducing labor. Bed rest was the biggest joke ever. Hubs was still hardly mobile, and I had a toddler in the house. Someone needed to be doing the cooking and cleaning, and hiring a cleaner was way way way out of the question.

After hardly sleeping for 3 weeks, my OB finally did a stretch and sweep at 38 weeks and said that if that didn’t put me into labor, he would induce me the following week. After shovelling the snow again (2 more feet!), I went into the hospital on March 16th around 4pm with contractions that were 5 minutes apart for 3 hours and strong, like had me curled up in a ball crying strong. (I want to point out, that when I was released from the hospital, there was no snow left at all, and it was 20 degrees celcius outside) 

After putting me on the monitor for awhile they noticed that Nick’s heart rate was really high (I don’t remember how high the number was, but Hubs says it was up around 185 BPM) they decided to keep me on the monitor for a while to see if it came back down or if they were going to need to intervene. I was scared. I didn’t know what was going to happen to my baby. After 2 hours it was regular enough that they were going to send me home. (I had only had 1 contraction in that hour)

For some reason my husband asked them to check me again to see how dilated I was. I was a 4 when I got in, and with one contraction (that I hardly felt, but the machine said I had) I had dilated to a 5. The Dr on call decided that since I had dilated with just that one not super strong contraction she would admit me and break my water to try and induce contractions. That didn’t work, they were still irregular, and some were stronger than others. So again I had the pitocin. Since I didn’t like how I felt on the drugs with Alex, I only took the epidural and tylenol for pain relief. I started pushing just before midnight, and on March 17th at 2:02am after 2.5 hours of pushing and some vacuum assistance I was finally holding my second little man! He was 8 lbs and 22 inches of pure perfection. It was a better experience and I enjoyed holding him right after he was born. (As opposed to Alex where I was so exhausted and out of it I don’t remember anything until about 3 hours after he was born) 


My recovery with Nick could be a post in itself. I tore along the same place I had been cut with Alex, and had the same number of stitches. This part was fast and easy to heal from. The hard part was the lack of feeling in my bladder and the lack of being able to pee. I was released from the hospital on March 19th with some self catheters and some direction on how to self cath and how often I needed to do it. Thankfully, a couple days before Nick was 3 weeks old I started being able to pee on my own and when he hit 3 weeks I was able to stop self cathing all together. 

Trying to adjust to the second baby, self cathing, and still not getting much sleep between a newborn and a teething toddler all contributed in leading me down a path of anxiety and depression. One day my husband came home from work to find the three of us crying on the floor and me having no clue what I was supposed to do for either of them. This led to him going back onto parental (we had decided that we wouldn’t, because it was a little easier financially if he didn’t) and me going into my Dr for some help. I was lucky and by the time Nick was about 3 months old, I was able to control the feelings I was having and start bonding with Nick. 


Coming soon is All About Zoey! 

Love, hugs and more to come later!


7 thoughts on “All About Nick!

  1. Thank you for sharing this story. It definitely couldn’t be easy to go through what you went through. I’m happy you had a wonderful partner who was able to share the burden with you and help you through that rough spot. I’m eager to hear about Zoey (which, by the way, was one of the names that we’d chosen if we’d had a girl 😉 ).

    • Thank you. It definitely wasn’t and it still isn’t some days. I am lucky to have Hubs, he is an amazing man! I’m hoping to work on Zoey’s tonight/tomorrow!

  2. I don’t know why “bed rest” is ever said to a woman. Unless it’s followed by “I’ll move in and do everything the way you want it for no charge and I’ll be happy to do it”. I haven’t heard of that happening either.

    • bed rest is probably the biggest joke out there. If it was a serious health thing, I would make it work… but it was just to ease my pains. Meals not being made would be a bigger pain in my opinion!

    • Where were you when I was going through it!! I felt so amazingly alone. Most of my friends had the opposite problem as I did (incontinence) and couldn’t relate at all. It is not fun at all, I am so glad I didn’t go through it after Zoey!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s